1 (5-pound) bone-in rib eye roast
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons sea salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
2 heads garlic, halved
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1/2 cup beef broth
1 (12-ounce) bottle stout beer
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, paprika, pepper, salt, and olive oil.
2. Pat roast dry and place in a shallow baking pan and generously coat all sides with the spice mix.
3. Marinate, uncovered in the refrigerator, for 1 hour, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot on high and brown roast on all sides, add butter, garlic, bay leaves, and fresh herbs.
5. When butter melts, add broth, beer, and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil.
6. Cover and transfer to the oven. Braise until meat is very tender, up to 2 hours.
7. Remove the roast from the pan and rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
8. Meanwhile, strain the pan juices and return to the pan. Boil until reduced by half.
9. Serve sliced roast with pan sauce.